Mission of Savannah Manor:
The purpose of this program is to help families break the cycle of poverty and to provide a strong foundation for their children.
How Savannah Manor Came to be:
As Savannah Smiles grew and we continued to reach out to comfort others, we began to see a trend in families seeking benevolence help. There are many facilities to help men, women, or children but nothing locally that helped the family as a whole. After 6 months of searching and praying for God’s guidance on a place to help families, He finally made things very clear—we were to create a transitional housing facility for families.
How does this tie into the ministry which we have already begun?
Savannah’s gift was compassion. It truly came natural for her. Suffering is also a teacher of compassion and as we have grieved her death we have learned the heart of hurting people. Although the families we intend to help may not have experienced the physical loss of a loved one; the loss of a job, integrity or purpose still carry its own sense of despair and hopelessness. Sorrow and suffering are universal emotions regardless of the circumstances.
Even through heartache, God was going before us to light a path for this organization.
The Harsh Reality
- 4,000 homeless children in Louisiana!
- $5.5 billion dollars spent annually for family assistance in the US, $39 million of this in Louisiana alone. (Office of Family Assistance)
- The nationally recognized Better Homes Fund cited Louisiana as the state where children are the most at risk for homelessness. (Better Homes Fund)
- In Louisiana, 13% of teens age 16—19 do not attend school or work. That’s the second highest percentage in the nation. (US Census Bureau)
- Louisiana’s poverty rate is 19.2%, the second highest rate in the nation, and the highest in the South. (US Census Bureau)
- Louisiana has the highest juvenile incarceration rate in the nation at a cost of more than $26,000 a year for every juvenile incarcerated. (Office of Juvenile Justice & Delinquency)
How are Participants Selected?
All participants are referred by a local church and must complete our application process.
Local Business Partners
Savannah Smiles would like to thank the following for their support:
G.D.’s Home Improvements
First Baptist Church of Slidell
Cross Gates Family Fitness
American Factory Direct
Nina Lombard (landscaping)